Friday, May 05, 2006

A new challenge: lace knitting

I am joining Amazing Lace too; I am a novice lace knitter - have never used laceweight yarn. the closest I've come to a true lace project is the Versatile Lattice capelet/wrap which uses the Elizabeth Lattice from Nicky Epstein's On the Edgee. I bought the Fiddlesticks Lotus Blossom Shawl pattern and some Zephyr, but I think I will do the Knitty project, Variation on a Frill. This uses beads, which I have never incorporated into knitting before, and it seems like an easy way to use them - you just incorporate them on the cast on.
I was thinking of using the Schaefer Laurel Yarn in Catherine the Great colorway that I used for the Elizabeth Lattice. Now I have to wait for my beads to arrive to cast on, which is fine because I have several WIPs, and several more planned.

I found a great article by the Variations on a Frill designer, Sivia Harding, about knitting with beads, so that is helpful.
I do really want to try a true laceweight pattern and so will perhaps try the Lotus with Zephyr after this - anyone have experience to share? I saw a neat Blog about the Flower Basket Shawl with various tips the blogger learned...



The photos show two examples of the Lotus, one from the Yarn Harlot (the white alpaca).

It was so fun hunting for lace patterns; I have several books that have them -
one I was very tempted by was in Handknit Holidays by Melanie Falick - it's a tablecloth made of linen napkins with linen lace patterning .. I was also tempted by the Fishtail scarf and the Falling Leaves scarf that have been circulating in blogland for some time. I love leaf patterns... There are several nice lace patterns in the 200 Ripple Stitch Patterns book by Jan Eaton; I am going to do some destashing with multiyarns and make ripple wraps with some yummy Judi & Co ribbon yarn that I got at Stitches - but I am having a terrible time winding these skeins - I seem to always have trouble - not sure what I am doing wrong when I put the yarn on the gizmo (any tips?)

3 comments:

Coarine said...

I really like the Lotus Blossom Shawl that is really pretty, it would be great for my grandmother ... I am going to have to think about this a little more.

The kitten are doing great ... they should be able to come home with me by the end of next week, I can't wait!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for dropping by the Knitters UFO blog. We would welcome you to join. Send me your email address to joanmahony@yahoo.com.au and I will send you an invitation to join.
I am also an avid collector or lace patterns - on the internet and in books. Unfortunatly I seem to spend most time knitting other things. Those shawls look delicious

ICJ said...

My favorite is also the Lotus Blossom Shawl although knitting with beads could be an interesting experience... Great choices! :)

Isabelle aka Tricotine